“My friend Kathy grew up on a farm, so I thought a ‘Farmer in the Dell‘ theme would be perfect for her baby shower,“ writes field editor Colleen Palmer of Epping, New Hampshire. Colleen’s colorful pig and chick cupcakes are adorable perched next to this bright red cupcake barn. And don’t forget the sun!
36-39 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, blue, pink and yellow paste food coloring
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Black and red decorating gel
- M&M's miniature baking bits
- Assorted candies (pink mint candy lozenges, Good & Plenty candies and Brach's white dessert mints)
- Candy corn
- Prepare golden cake batter according to package directions. Pour into
- a greased and waxed paper-lined 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack.
- Prepare devil's food cake batter according to package directions.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350°
- for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Tint 1 cup frosting red. Frost two-thirds of the cake, forming a barn
- shape; spread frosting on sides of barn. For sky, tint 2/3 cup
- frosting blue; frost remaining top and sides of cake.