Barley Zucchini Boats Recipe
Barley is delightful paired with garden-fresh zucchini in this flavorful recipe.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 medium zucchini (8 to 9 inches)
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Set the tomatoes aside. Add water to juice to measure 2 cups; place in a saucepan. Add barley and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, place zucchini in a Dutch oven and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 6 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain; cool slightly. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Chop pulp and set aside.
- 3. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, garlic and allspice in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add barley mixture, parsley, salt, pepper, tomatoes and zucchini pulp; mix well. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- 4. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and butter; sprinkle over zucchini. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 279 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 557mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Barley Zucchini Boats
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC