This is a scrumptious sandwich recipe that will soon become a staple in your house.National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (6 to 7 inches), warmed
- In a saucepan, combine water, barley and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. In a
- skillet, cook turkey until no longer pink; drain. Add the barley,
- salsa, corn, chilies, olives and seasonings; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes. Stir in the cheese. Spoon into tortillas and roll up.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 303 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 653 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.