Barley Waldorf Salad
To create this tasty twist on traditional Waldorf salads, simply cook the barley, then mix together all the ingredients. The memorable medley sent in by Sara Tschetter from Belle Plaine, Saskatchewan offers a nice change of pace from traditional rice and pasta salads served this time of year.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 large tart apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold
- water. In a small serving bowl, combine barley, apples, walnuts,
- raisins, cream, mayonnaise and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 348 calories, 22 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.