Barley Vegetable Stew Recipe
From Waupaca, Wisconsin, Barbara Lane shares the recipe for a hearty barley stew that's sure to take the edge off cool-weather days. "Sometime I substitute millet for the barley," she suggests. "I pre-toast it in a skillet over medium heat, just until it starts to pop. It adds a nice nutty flavor.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the carrot, squash, sweet potato and red pepper. Saute 5 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, barley, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Add the tomato; heat through. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 121 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Barley Vegetable Stew
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC