Barley Vegetable Soup Recipe
Our taste testers loved this delicious vegetarian soup brimming with veggies and barley. Though it doesn’t taste like it, the recipe from Mary Tallman of Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin has only 128 calories and 1 gram of fat!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, halved
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in the water, broth, barley, bay leaf and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high for 10-20 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 128 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 812 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC