- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, halved
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in the water, broth, barley, bay leaf and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high for 10-20 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Barley Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
"I love, love, love this soup. Tastes great! There is nothing I don't like about it. I will make it numerous times this winter I am sure."
"Very light, yet satisfying. I guess, sweet potato and carrot made this soup a bit too sweet, so I had to add more of the tomatoes at the end."