I often serve this salad as an entree on summer nights when it's too hot to eat a heavy meal. The recipe makes a big batch, which is terrific for taking to potlucks.
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add barley. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the barley, broccoli and carrots, tomatoes, onions, red pepper and sunflower kernels.
- In a blender, combine the lemon juice, oil, vinegar, lemon peel, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and process until combined.
- Pour over barley mixture and stir to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p216
Reviews for Barley Vegetable Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review