Instead of using chicken broth, I frequently make homemade stock using the leftover holiday turkey. A steaming bowl of soup takes the chill out of winter.
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in turkey and parsley if desired; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Barley Turkey Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p104
Reviews for Barley Turkey Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2011
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2011
"good soup i leave out the allspice"