Instead of using chicken broth, I frequently make homemade stock using the leftover holiday turkey. A steaming bowl of soup takes the chill out of winter.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in turkey and parsley if desired; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Barley Turkey Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p104
Reviews for Barley Turkey Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review