Barley Turkey Soup
Instead of using chicken broth, I frequently make homemade stock using the leftover holiday turkey. A steaming bowl of soup takes the chill out of winter.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 11 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes
- or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in turkey and parsley if desired; heat through. Discard bay
- leaf. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 160 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 939 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.