Barley Turkey Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 2. Stir in turkey and parsley if desired; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 160 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Barley Turkey Soup
"Best "Barley Soup" ever!I used chicken in place of turkey(none O/H), lovely large potful Good to freeze too. It will be new favorite soup!"
"good soup i leave out the allspice"
"This soup is delicious and perfect for a cool fall day. My husband said it was the best soup he had ever tasted! I will definitely make it again!"