My mother cooked with barley a lot, so when I found this recipe for stuffed peppers, I know it would be great. I just made a few changes to suit our tastes, and now it's a weekday dinner standby.—Rosella Peters, Gull Lake, Saskatchewan
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 large green peppers
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. In a large kettle, blanch peppers
- in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set
- aside. In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, onion and garlic
- until onion is tender and sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- tomato sauce, barley, thyme, salt and pepper; heat through. Spoon
- into peppers; place in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover
- and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender
- and filling is hot. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 313 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 830 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein.