Barley Risotto Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; add bouillon and stir until dissolved. Reduce heat and keep warm.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook and stir the barley for 2-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl. In the same skillet, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer or until onion is tender. Stir in barley and wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Add heated bouillon, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until barley is almost tender (cooking time is about 20 minutes). Add the parsley, lemon peel and salt; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup equals 175 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.