Barley Pilaf with Bacon Recipe
“This is a tried-and-true recipe from my days working in an oat-and-barley flour mill,” says Lili Hill of Athens, Georgia. Chicken broth, onions and bacon lend wonderful flavor to the fiber-rich grain.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Cool, then refrigerate.
- 2. Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In drippings, saute barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour.
- 4. Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 157 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC