- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In drippings, saute barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barley Pilaf with Bacon in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p59
Reviews for Barley Pilaf with Bacon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2013
"Excellent! Made an elegant meal served with venison and aspargus."
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2010
"great recipe. dont mistakenly use quick cooking barley. better if made ahead or as left overs."
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2008
"This is really delicious with a creamy texture! Highly recommended!!"