- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In drippings, saute barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth and pepper. Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Barley Pilaf with Bacon
"Excellent! Made an elegant meal served with venison and aspargus."
"I don't serve barley too often so this was a nice change of pace. I used turkey bacon instead of pork bacon and it came out wonderful. I served this along side Five Spice Tuna and Asian Broccoli salad which resulted in a nice combinations of flavors."
"great recipe. dont mistakenly use quick cooking barley. better if made ahead or as left overs."
"This is really delicious with a creamy texture! Highly recommended!!"