Barley Corn Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, salt, thyme and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 163 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.