- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Barley Chili in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p7
Reviews for Barley Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2014
"This is one of children's favorite meals. I double the recipe for our family of four. This is also a good meal to make ahead and put in the freezer."