- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Barley Chili in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p7
Reviews for Barley Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2014
"This is one of children's favorite meals. I double the recipe for our family of four. This is also a good meal to make ahead and put in the freezer."