Barley Chili Recipe
"A friend gave me this recipe using wheat, which I replaced with barley," notes Marv Salter of West Hills, California. The barley makes this dish a hearty meal for a chilly day.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Barley Chili in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p7
Reviews for Barley Chili(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review