- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, barley, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Barley Chicken Chili
Sort By :
"I don't like beans so this recipe is a great alternative to regular chili. I really like how the flavors blend in this recipe. I have made this a few times & follow the recipe as given with no complaints. This is great to have on a crisp fall or winter day."
"Right, I did make a few changes - added no water, fresh tomatoes not tinned, a fresh chilli, crushed fresh garlic, a few chopped jalapeños and used about two cups of rice instead of barley. Cooked in pressure cooker - cooked the chicken, onions and garlic etc in the stock, then added the rest of stuff, put the lid on for about 15 minutes. , ended up with a spicy rice dish that was spicy but not hot. Would def make again, even try it how it was meant to be as a stew!"
"We enjoyed this a lot even though I made it in the crockpot and used regular barley."
"This was such a nice change from the norm - and gobbled right up and my guest asking to take some home. Easy to make and rave reviews!"