Barley Chicken Chili Recipe
I was looking for a new recipe for chicken when I discovered a dish I thought my husband might like. After making a few changes and additions to fit our preferences, I had this zesty chili simmering on the stovetop. It was great! Leftovers store well in the freezer.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, barley, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 197 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC