Barley Casserole Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large ovenproof skillet, saute the celery, carrots, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the barley, salt and pepper. Stir in 2-1/2 cups broth. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in parsley and remaining broth; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 222 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 711 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.