Barley Burger Stew
"I found this hearty stew recipe in an old cookbook purchased at a flea market," recalls Judy McCarthy of Derby, Kansas. "The blend of beef and barley really hits the spot on cool days."
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/4 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef, onion and celery
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice,
- water, barley, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is
- tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 332 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,681 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein.