Barley Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped broccoli or asparagus, cooked and drained
- 4 cups milk
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water, bouillon and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is tender and nearly all liquid is absorbed. Stir often but do not drain. Add broccoli or asparagus. Stir in milk, cheese, nutmeg and pepper. Add bacon if desired. Heat through, stirring often, until soup is hot and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 145 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.