VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Set the tomatoes aside. Add water to juice to measure 2 cups; place in a saucepan. Add barley and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. Place peppers in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes. Drain; rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add beef and allspice. Cook until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the barley mixture, parsley, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender and the meat is heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barley Bell Peppers in Country Woman July/August 1999, p41