Barley Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, salt, oregano, paprika and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Add the beans, corn and barley; cover and cook on low 2 hours longer or until barley, beef and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Barley Beef Stew
Sort By :
Campbell's canned Beef & Barley soup was one of my favorites growing up. This is like an up-scale adult version (now that I can cook). Made it over the weekend and reheated for week-night dinner.Yummy
Very tasty, comforting, basic recipe. My husband thought it was perfect. I would like to jazz it up a little with some red wine and spices for myself. Will make it again both ways.
Very good! I substituted baby butter beans for the green beans and used beef broth instead of just water. My family loved it!
It was good. I'd add a little more liquid to it next time because it was a bit to thick for us.
After working outdoors all day, it was wonderful to come in and feast on this delicious stew! I added one more cup of water and deleted the canola oil. With a warm corn muffin, it was a perfect meal!