- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water; bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Barley Beef Skillet
"This was so easy and yummy! I added an extra tomato and used a 15 oz can of tomato sauce since that's what I had and just reduced the water. A keeper for sure!"
"Such a shame that the previous person posting said they through away the entire thing and likely wasted good food when that is so unnecessary. Rule of thumb: recipes are best used as merely a guideline and then to add to it your own tweaking of spices and flavors that you like. I added more garlic, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, paprika, bay leaf, and a few dashes of worcestershire. Hot garlic bread and green salad made it a great meal here."
"Sorry, but this just didn't work for us. I had my reservations before I made it but was persuaded by the high reviews. More reviews are needed to get a true picture. Italian seasoning just doesn't work here. Had to throw it all out."
"Made this tonight with ground turkey and 3 carrots and no zucchini. I did like the addition of the parmesan cheese as suggested. It's pretty tasty and filling for what seems to be a healthy meal."
"does need more spice, very easy, very good, I will try with ground turkey as some suggest."
"Use quick cook barley, leave out water. Use can diced tomatoes next time...Good cold weather meal"
"We loved this. Very tasty and easy to make."
"Awesome recipe sending it on to others"
"Loved this. Not spicy...good for kids, easy to make, not to many ingredients, really tastey, inexpensive...an all round good everyday meal. Thanks!"