Barley Beef Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water; bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 400 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 10g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Barley Beef Skillet
"This was so easy and yummy! I added an extra tomato and used a 15 oz can of tomato sauce since that's what I had and just reduced the water. A keeper for sure!"
"Such a shame that the previous person posting said they through away the entire thing and likely wasted good food when that is so unnecessary. Rule of thumb: recipes are best used as merely a guideline and then to add to it your own tweaking of spices and flavors that you like. I added more garlic, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, paprika, bay leaf, and a few dashes of worcestershire. Hot garlic bread and green salad made it a great meal here."
"Sorry, but this just didn't work for us. I had my reservations before I made it but was persuaded by the high reviews. More reviews are needed to get a true picture. Italian seasoning just doesn't work here. Had to throw it all out."
"Use quick cook barley, leave out water. Use can diced tomatoes next time...Good cold weather meal"
"We loved this. Very tasty and easy to make."
"Awesome recipe sending it on to others"
"Loved this. Not spicy...good for kids, easy to make, not to many ingredients, really tastey, inexpensive...an all round good everyday meal. Thanks!"
"I thought this was a good recipe. Its does need more seasoning as I found it a bit bland. I added parm cheese when I was dishing it out."
"This was SO GOOD. I made the recipe exactly as posted and I absolutely loved it. The serving size is huge and filling and it just tastes great. Just make this. It's awesome."
"I used quick barely and omitted the cup of water and that cut down on the cooking time so that it was a 30 minute meal. I also just added a can of diced tomatoes, drained in order to simplify even more. It was tasty!"