- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water; bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Barley Beef Skillet
Sort By :
Such a shame that the previous person posting said they through away the entire thing and likely wasted good food when that is so unnecessary. Rule of thumb: recipes are best used as merely a guideline and then to add to it your own tweaking of spices and flavors that you like. I added more garlic, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, paprika, bay leaf, and a few dashes of worcestershire. Hot garlic bread and green salad made it a great meal here.
Sorry, but this just didn't work for us. I had my reservations before I made it but was persuaded by the high reviews. More reviews are needed to get a true picture. Italian seasoning just doesn't work here. Had to throw it all out.
Made this tonight with ground turkey and 3 carrots and no zucchini. I did like the addition of the parmesan cheese as suggested. It's pretty tasty and filling for what seems to be a healthy meal.
does need more spice, very easy, very good, I will try with ground turkey as some suggest.
Use quick cook barley, leave out water. Use can diced tomatoes next time...Good cold weather meal