Barley Beef Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 small onion, halved
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices and onion slices
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2. Place onion and barley in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove to a bowl; stir in barbecue sauce, flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into two 1/2-in. thick patties.
- 3. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with toppings as desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 burger (calculated without toppings): 395 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2-1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
Reviews for Barley Beef Burgers
"Very tasty and moist. The barley does add a different flavor. Next time I might only cook half of the barley."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.