Barley Beef Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 small onion, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices and onion slices
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2. Place onion and barley in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl; stir in barbecue sauce, flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into two 1/2-in. thick patties.
- 3. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve on buns; top as desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 burger equals 395 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.