- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 small onion, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, combine onion and barley; cover and process until finely chopped. In small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, flour, salt, pepper and barley mixture. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve on buns. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Barley Beef Burgers in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p9
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Barley Beef Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 27, 2012
Very tasty and moist. The barley does add a different flavor. Next time I might only cook half of the barley.