Most folks have heard of barley soup, but this barley chili takes them by surprise. My variation features a delectable combination of beans and seasonings.
- 1 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Add barley and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Beans and Barley Chili in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 2000, p91
Reviews for Barley Bean Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review