Barley Bake Recipe
This is a delicious change of pace from potato casseroles. Slivered almonds give it a nice crunch.—Lamar Lyons Parker, Peoria, Illinois
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery and onions in butter until tender. Add barley; cook and stir until barley is golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- 2. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine barley mixture, 1 cup broth and parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 3. Uncover; stir in almonds and remaining broth. Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC