Barley and Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cooked medium pearl barley
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, red pepper, onions and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, barley, bacon, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 187 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.