If you're tired of potatoes, try this quick-and-easy pilaf for a change of taste. "I put it together while trying to use up left-over rice," writes Marilyn Bazant of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "I've experimented with many variations, such as adding broccoli florets and asparagus."
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cooked medium pearl barley
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, red pepper, onions and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, barley, bacon, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barley and Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p62
Reviews for Barley and Rice Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2011