Barley and Mushroom Salad Recipe
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion
- Additional olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons oil in a slow steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 2. Brush onion with additional oil. Place on a small baking sheet. Roast at 350° for 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly. Chop coarsely; set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minuets or until tender. Drain any excess liquid. Spread barley on a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- 4. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until tender. In a bowl, combine mushrooms, onion, barley, parsley, salt and reserved vinaigrette. Toss well to mix. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Barley and Mushroom Salad
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2010
"Upon reviewing this recipe we discovered that 2/3 cup pearl barley was left out of the ingredient list. The recipe has been corrected and will be updated here soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC