Barley and Mushroom Salad
8 ServingsPrep: 30 Cook: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion
- Additional olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard in a small
- bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons oil in a slow steady stream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brush onion with additional oil. Place on a small baking sheet. Roast
- at 350° for 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Chop coarsely; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minuets or until tender. Drain any
- excess liquid. Spread barley on a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until