- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion
- Additional olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons oil in a slow steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brush onion with additional oil. Place on a small baking sheet. Roast at 350° for 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly. Chop coarsely; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minuets or until tender. Drain any excess liquid. Spread barley on a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until tender. In a bowl, combine mushrooms, onion, barley, parsley, salt and reserved vinaigrette. Toss well to mix. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Barley and Mushroom Salad in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2009, p47
Reviews for Barley and Mushroom Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2010
"Upon reviewing this recipe we discovered that 2/3 cup pearl barley was left out of the ingredient list. The recipe has been corrected and will be updated here soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"