- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion
- Additional olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons oil in a slow steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brush onion with additional oil. Place on a small baking sheet. Roast at 350° for 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly. Chop coarsely; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minuets or until tender. Drain any excess liquid. Spread barley on a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until tender. In a bowl, combine mushrooms, onion, barley, parsley, salt and reserved vinaigrette. Toss well to mix. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Barley and Mushroom Salad in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2009, p47
Reviews for Barley and Mushroom Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2010
"Upon reviewing this recipe we discovered that 2/3 cup pearl barley was left out of the ingredient list. The recipe has been corrected and will be updated here soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"