Barley and Corn Casserole Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the garlic, onion and carrots in oil over medium heat, until tender.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; add chicken broth, barley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in corn and parsley. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the barley is tender and corn is heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 108 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Barley and Corn Casserole
"We didn't care for the combination of barley and corn."
"This recipe was quite easy and a nice change from the usual rice or potatoes."