Barley and Corn Casserole
This hearty colorful casserole goes well with pork, chicken or fish. For convenience, it can be made ahead and refrigerated before serving.—Diane Molberg, Emerald Park, Saskatchewan
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the garlic, onion and carrots in oil over
- medium heat, until tender.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; add chicken broth, barley,
- salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in corn and parsley. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or
- until the barley is tender and corn is heated through. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium reduced-fat chicken broth and without salt) equals 108 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 36 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.