This hearty colorful casserole goes well with pork, chicken or fish. For convenience, it can be made ahead and refrigerated before serving.—Diane Molberg, Emerald Park, Saskatchewan
Featured In: 27 Recipes for One-Pot Meals
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the garlic, onion and carrots in oil over medium heat, until tender.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; add chicken broth, barley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in corn and parsley. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the barley is tender and corn is heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Barley and Corn Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p9
Reviews for Barley and Corn Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2011
"We didn't care for the combination of barley and corn."
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2011
"This recipe was quite easy and a nice change from the usual rice or potatoes."