This hearty colorful casserole goes well with pork, chicken or fish. For convenience, it can be made ahead and refrigerated before serving.—Diane Molberg, Emerald Park, Saskatchewan
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the garlic, onion and carrots in oil over medium heat, until tender.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; add chicken broth, barley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in corn and parsley. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the barley is tender and corn is heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Barley and Corn Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p9
Reviews for Barley and Corn Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2011
"We didn't care for the combination of barley and corn."
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2011
"This recipe was quite easy and a nice change from the usual rice or potatoes."