Barded Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (16 pounds)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the stuffing, apples, raisins, butter, poultry seasoning and pepper flakes. Add broth; toss to combine.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Place several bacon strips over the turkey.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour; replace bacon with new bacon strips (discard cooked bacon or save for another use). Bake 3-1/2 to 4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, replacing bacon each hour and basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Remove bacon strips before serving. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
8 ounce-weight: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Barded Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer