- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (16 pounds)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, divided
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the stuffing, apples, raisins, butter, poultry seasoning and pepper flakes. Add broth; toss to combine.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Place several bacon strips over the turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour; replace bacon with new bacon strips (discard cooked bacon or save for another use). Bake 3-1/2 to 4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, replacing bacon each hour and basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Remove bacon strips before serving. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Barded Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p45
Reviews for Barded Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review