Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in 1/3 cup butter until tender. Add the next seven ingredients.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Spread the cut side of each hamburger bun with 1 teaspoon remaining butter. Serve turkey mixture on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches
"Incredible! These tasted so good. Although the sauce is sufficient for 4 cups of shredded turkey, I think next time I will double the sauce because it was awesome!"
"These were delicious!"
"I trusted the reviews of others, and quadrupled this recipe for a group, the first time I made it. I was not disappointed! For a single recipe, I used only 1-1/2 teaspoons of oil/butter to saute vegetables in a non-stick skillet. I didn't butter the buns. I also reduced the amount of brown sugar to 1-1/2 tablespoons. Next time I'll make slightly more sauce for the amount of turkey--I like the sandwiches a little more moist."
"This is a delicious recipe and easy. Didn't have turkey so used shredded chicken and cut down on the butter to saute veggies. Used on open faced whole wheat buns w/ a spread of mayo. Yum, yum. Will definitely make again."
"Great recipe and not too spicy. I used vegetable oil instead of butter to saute vegetables and didn't bother buttering the buns since I didn't really see the need."
"Very good recipe, but I made one big change from the recipe as it appears here: I only used 3 Tbsp of butter instead of 2/3 cup. I can't imagine putting that much butter in it!"