I have an excellent source for turkey recipes, since many of our neighbors are poultry farmers! These satisfying sandwiches, with their mildly tangy sauce, are a great way to use up leftover turkey from the holidays.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a saucepan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in 1/3 cup butter until tender. Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Spread the cut side of each hamburger bun with 1 teaspoon remaining butter. Serve turkey mixture on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches in Country Woman November/December 2000, p29
Reviews for Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review