Barbecued Turkey on Buns Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (6 ounces) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomato paste, pineapple juice, water, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 280 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.