Christa Norwalk feels good serving these luscious sandwiches that make the most of unsweetened pineapple juice for lunch or dinner. ”They have such great flavor,” she says. “Folks never guess they’re made with ground turkey.”
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (6 ounces) DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato paste, pineapple juice, water, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Turkey on Buns in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p55
Reviews for Barbecued Turkey on Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review