Barbecued Smoked Sausage And Lima Beans Recipe
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) reduced-fat fully cooked smoked Polish sausage, cut into 3/4 slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen baby lima beans
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in lima beans. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 367 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein
Reviews for Barbecued Smoked Sausage And Lima Beans
"We loved this simple, easy dinner, but I followed the advice of other reviews and only used 1 can of tomatoes and instead of lima beans, I subbed 1 can Northern and 1 can black beans, plus added an extra package of smoked sausage to feed all. Great dinner!"
"This is one of my go to recipes! Keep some sausage in the freezer, use canned black beans and you have a very easy, in a hurry, delicious meal. My family loves this. I use only 1 can of tomatoes. Feel free to substitute in whatever canned beans (black, kidney etc....) you have."
"this is one of my go to recipes for crock pot cooking or when I need something delicious and easy. Everyone LOVES it. Try using canned kidney beans instead of the limas and halfing the tomatoes. Otherwise, an awesome recipe. I have been making it for years."
"My family and I love this recipe! I have made it many times and it never have left overs. Vary the taste with the type of sausage- kielbasa, chicken sausages (I am presently using a chicken apple sausage which works great). This recipe is simple and easy. I also use canned black beans or red kidney beans (my family prefers them) to the limas. Enjoy."
"One of our absolute favorites! I only use half the tomatoes, half the spices and half the lima beans."
"I did this in a slow cooker and it was good."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.