There's a slightly sweet flavor to this filling blend of sausage, lima beans and tomatoes. "The last time I made this dish, I used homemade sausage from a local store and it was delicious!" writes Myrna Wingate of Irons, Michigan.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) reduced-fat fully cooked smoked Polish sausage, cut into 3/4 slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen baby lima beans
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in lima beans. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Smoked Sausage And Lima Beans in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p45
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Barbecued Smoked Sausage And Lima Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review