Barbecued Short Ribs Recipe
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- Place ribs in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain ribs. Arrange on a broiler pan and baste with barbecue sauce. Broil 4 to 5 in. from the heat for 5-10 minutes on each side or until sauce is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now