People like the blending of many different flavors in this recipe. I consider it a very special one and generally fix it for company. It receives rave reviews. I'm sure the sauce would taste good on pork chops or on chicken in addition. We have eight children - the oldest is 18, and the youngest is 11 months. -Cheryl Niemela, Cokato, Minnesota
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- Place ribs in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain ribs. Arrange on a broiler pan and baste with barbecue sauce. Broil 4 to 5 in. from the heat for 5-10 minutes on each side or until sauce is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Short Ribs in Country Woman September/October 1998, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Barbecued Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review